Village Tree Board
The Village of Fairport's Tree Board is pleased to announce the return of the delightful community event "PoetTree". On Friday April 29th, 2022, we celebrate the 150th anniversary of Arbor Day, a day set aside to recognize the importance of planting trees and with them our hope for the future. The Village of Fairport is humbled to be designated a Tree City USA for the past 19 years, joining 3600 communities across the United States maintaining and growing our urban forests. April also marks National Poetry Month, which reminds the public that poets have an integral role to play in our culture, and that poetry matters. PoetTree recognizes the many vibrant, thoughtful, humorous, and poignant voices in our community through their poetry, and displays those in the most beautiful gallery around: our trees.
In 2022 we are welcoming poem submissions from all ages and members of our Fairport community. Rules for participation are as follows:
- The theme of submitted poems must be related to trees.
- Poems must be submitted by Friday April 1, 2022.
- Email submissions to: email@example.com.
- Poems must fit into an 8" square, and must clearly list the name of the author, the title of the poem, and the year it was written. If the author is a student, please include the school the student attends and their grade.
The Tree Board will strive to display as many poems as possible - we love poetry! - but ultimately the ones chosen will be at the discretion of the Tree Board. There is no guarantee any specific poem will be included in PoetTree 2022.
The Village of Fairport has received the Tree City USA designation each year since 2003. This award program has been established by the National Arbor Day Foundation to recognize cities, towns, and villages that develop and invest in comprehensive urban forestry programs.
Village Tree Board Members:
- Matthew Brown, Chair
- Jane DeMeis
- William Maier
- Monica Phillips-Reagan
- Natasha Besch-Turner
- Zakery Steele (Alternate Member)
In serving as “caretaker” for the more than 3,400 trees sited on Village property and right-of-ways, Fairport has met or exceeded the four required standards for the Tree City USA designation including:
- A legally constituted Tree Board;
- A Village tree ordinance;
- A comprehensive forestry program supported by a minimum investment of $2 per capita per year; and
- An Arbor Day proclamation by the Village Board and an Arbor Day observance.
Shade which provides savings on air conditioning costs, cools parking lots, and reduces fumes from engines and fuel tanks;
- Acting as a windbreak which can reduce fuel consumption and provide energy savings in winter;
- Reducing stormwater runoff and soil erosion;
- Filtering and reducing air pollutants;
- Providing a calming effect on vehicle traffic; and
- Increasing property values.